July 2019-June 2022
- Promote European-African business partnerships for biodiversity conservation and local development
- Support to set up and upscale ABS-compliant value chains respecting the UNCTAD BioTrade Principles
- Close collaboration with the multi-donor ABS Capacity Development Initiative and the ABS Compliant Biotrade in South(ern) Africa project implemented by GIZ
- The European-African partnerships for biodiversity-based innovations and products are strengthened with equitable benefit-sharing for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
- The private sector entered into sustainable and mutually beneficial business partnerships based on high ethical, social and environmental standards.
- Improved and new (rural) jobs are created and knowledge and technology transfer to the African provider countries are promoted.
Expected outcomes and impacts
- Conditions for implementing national ABS regulations are improved.
- Biodiversity conservation measures are implemented, knowledge and technology are transferred and new job opportunities are created.
- Market potentials of selected biodiversity-based value chains are utilized to establish long-term European-African business partnerships in line with high ethical standards.
- German development cooperation is visible as a close partner.
Local producers, harvesters and collectors in rural communities, such as cooperatives (as ‘providers’ of biodiversity), African small, medium and micro-enterprises (SMMEs), local and regional processors and research institutions.
BioInnovation Africa cooperates with partners from the political, institutional and private sector.
- Aroma Forest
- Blue Sky Botanics
- Centre for Research Information Action in Africa – Southern Africa Development and Consulting (CRIAA SA-DC)
- Eudafano Women’s Cooperative (EWC)
- Greater Sekhukhune Region Secondary Co-operative (GSRC)
- Guide d’Espoir
- Gustav Heess Group
- Honeybush Community of Practice (HCoP)
- International Fragrance Association (IFRA)
- International Organization of the Flavor Industry (IOFI)
- Integrated Rural Development and Nature Conservation (IRDNC)
- Kambaku Energy
- KAZA Natural Oils
- Kunene Conservancies Indigenous Natural Products Trust (KCINPT)
- Martin Bauer Group
- Namibia Nature Foundation
- Namibia Network of the Cosmetics industry (NANCi)
- National Devil’s Claw Export Association Trust (NDCEAT)
- Regenerative Essence
- SEED Namibia
- Seppic / SERDEX
- South African Association of the Flavour & Fragrance Industry (SAAFFI),
- South African Rooibos Council (SARC)
- Southern African Essential Oil Producers’ Association (SAEOPA)
- The Body Shop
- Tropical Forest Products
- V. Mane Fils
Commissioned and funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.